Wednesday 18 May 2011

De-fault – the two greatest words in the English language

I was recently successful in securing a job at a new school. A slight movement up the leadership ladder but mainly the change was due to location. Obviously I informed my current school before hand when I told them I was going on the interview. A friend of mine in a similar position was offered what seemed like a game show haul of prizes in attempt to change his mind, I’m not sure if they were presented on a conveyor belt though, I wasn’t present at the meeting. I could only assume that they were waiting to see if I got the job first before enticing me to stay with promises of kitchen appliances, speedboats and maybe a cuddly toy.

I got the job and returned to work with a polite but affirmative speech all prepared to say ‘thanks, but no thanks’, but the speech wasn’t needed. They didn’t ask me. Now I know that I’m not the greatest practitioner but I thought a little arm-twisting may have gone on. Maybe not even that much attempted persuasion, maybe a bit of wrist-twisting, or maybe just a finger. But there was nothing forthcoming apart from a handshake. There’s nothing like a loose handshake and an insincere ‘congratulations’ to remind you how low an opinion people have of you.

I can’t really be surprised though as during my last few years I have voiced many of my own opinions on how poor I think some decisions have been in running this school, and how more importantly, when it came to making those decisions, our opinions as professionals have been either ignored or quickly forgotten.

I also can’t be surprised based on the way in which I was hired. There were four candidates on my original interview including me, and they took themselves out of the running in glorious style. The first candidate was over an hour late as they took the wrong exit on the motorway and got stuck in rush hour traffic. The second wrote on an interactive whiteboard in permanent marker, and the third declared in her interview that she only wanted to work 2 days a week part-time because she had ‘other commitments’. When I think of the other candidates I can almost hear the music from the Keystone Cops ringing out in the background. I’d like to say there was an element of disappointment at the way I was hired, that I would have preferred to have been the best of strong group. But I can’t, I like the easy option, that’s probably another reason why they’re happy to see me leave.

The students have voiced opposite opinions to the leadership team which is encouraging. Not all of them by any means, but a few have voiced their mild sorrow upon hearing of my imminent departure and from teenagers, that’s the best I think that you can hope for. This is the way round I’d prefer it to be. In my opinion it means I’m doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment